July 18, 2011

Sleep Test: 1

^ If she was drooling that would so be me right now.

Last night was the first night our "Operation: Sleep Through the Night" test.

We put a mattress on the floor on Geeks' room and baby proofed it.

I was taping couch cushions to the stairs of Geeks' bunk bed when Chunko came over and ripped the tape off easier than I had put it there. Then he walked away. It was his way of saying "We both know this won't stop me if I don't want it to."
Thank you, Chunko. We are very much aware how fruitless baby proofing is.

Bedtime approached all too quickly (since we were terrified worried concerned how this was going to go) and soon the hour was upon us. We put Chunko in bed and kept talking up what a big boy he was but he was having none of it. So it turned from "happy bedtime cheer" to "quick drop him on the bed and run" real fast.

He fussed more than usual (it was a strange room) but he was still down before our 15 minute mark of no return.

*side note* That kid is ridiculously strong. At one point he was tugging on the door (cause we can't lock Geek's bedroom door and a gate was pointless) and I was holding the other side and he managed to open it a crack a few times. My arm hurts so bad this morning from all his tugging. *side note*

He fell asleep all cute-like with his bum on the mattress and his head on the floor. I was told I couldn't take a picture of it because that would wake him.

45 minutes later, though, he was up and mad. We waited the 15 minutes to see if he would calm and he wasn't going back down without a fight. I gave in and ended up lying down with him to cuddle and soothe him. He would fall asleep and do the sweet, deep sigh that lets you know babies are asleep but as soon as I moved he was right back up.

I gave up. I was either going to leave him crying or I was going to be sleeping with him. I dashed from the room and shut the door. My step girl stepped in and got him to sleep. She cuddled him to sleep and stayed with him all night. He would sleep and then fuss, sleep and then fuss.

He didn't really want sister but he was going to take what he was given.

I've realized we need to find what the problem is before we can find a solution to our sleepless nights.
Is he waking up hungry, scared or just in search of a body?
So last night was a test to see if any body would do or if it had to be us. We were also checking to see if it was our bed he felt he needed or did it matter?

We have learned that any body (as long as it is warm) will be ok and as long as he has that, he's okay with his mattress.
He slept for five hours straight before waking.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight's test will be to see if Geeks can cuddle him or does it have to be an adult person.
(not that I believe my step girl is an adult but she's so tall that she can trick the baby into thinking she's one).
(not that it matters, but I feel it's important to know)
(five hours isn't much when you haven't slept well in weeks)
(did I mention I had a cold?)
(I'm hungry)

No comments:

Post a Comment