November 6, 2011

On A Stump Like A Lump

I've had to take a few days to cool off... Every time I started to write this I would slam my fingers into the keyboard and letters would fly off making me even more mad (I'm still looking for the letter "N" fyi).

Last week I got called into my supervisor's office to be explained to that "Several People" within the company have complained that I have not only been rude to them but that I have been answering with one word answers. I normally would have let this roll of my shoulders and moved on, thankful for not being written up for being a bitch, but this time, this, made me see red.

Let me explain to you the past two months... I am currently training 2 (Two!) people in a very detailed oriented job. They are both on different levels and so I get confused as to what each one knows. On top of that, I still have to do my job duties. Things are busy here so I can't always set aside the time that any of us would like to show them the process for certain things. I try to set aside tasks for them to do and learn from but then they don't get done and I get stuck staying half an hour after work to complete it.

And I don't complain.

I don't get kudos, I don't get nominated for "Employee of the whatever". And I don't mind that.
I love my job and I live my job. I rarely get acknowledged for taking care of things before it's thought to take care of them or for doing my job to the point that my fellow co-workers don't have to worry once they know I have the file.

And I don't complain.

I am constantly told "Ask Bri, she knows everything" and "Bri will do it, if you ask nicely" and I do it, happily. No, really. I love my job so therefore I love all the little stresses that come with it.

Anyways on to last week.
So they tell me that there's several people that have said I answer in one word answers. When did that become wrong? When did a simple "Yes" become a bad impression? These are fellow employees that are also busy during their day (I assume) and have asked a quick question to which I matched a quick answer. Is it really necessary that if you ask me I have to answer with "Yes, the car is red" and not a simple "Yes?"

And, of course, my managers cannot give me a specific example of when this happened so I am not aware as to how to amend my answers. This leaves me guessing who it is and second guessing every answer I give, every word I say. I worry if I said that rudely or was I too short. I am unsure of myself and self-conscious.

I don't want to come to work anymore. I am tired of training people (even though they are awesome women x10!!!) and showing people how to do things. I am becoming impatient. And now I am bitter.

I keep repeating to myself that I have an amazing job that pays me well and that I actually love doing but I can't seem to get over this hurdle.

I am so mad at these people, these "Tattle Tales," who think that's okay to complain because someone answered with one word.  These people who don't speak with me or my manager regarding it... No, they go the national HR department. So, I hurt your feelings because I was too short with you? You couldn't take a moment to think that we may be busy and overwhelmed and I have 4 lines ringing, 3 people at my desk asking me questions and you on the phone? Well, eff off because you've paid me back. I hope someday someone is kind enough to return the favor. I don't tattle on people for having a bad day and I would think that someone would be kind enough to do the same.



Ps, I apologize if this offends you. I apologize if you were one of the people that was offended by my shortness.

No comments:

Post a Comment