October 14, 2009

Proper Parenting?

I am just horrified to hear what parenting seems to have become nowadays.
There was a story on my favorite morning show (morning zoo!) explaining that the parents of an 8 year old have been arrested for washing her mouth out with soap. How many of us grew up knowing that if we said a curse word our mouths were going to be filled the soapy goodness of Irish or Dove? And now these two have had their kids taken away and are facing 10 years in jail?
I'm flabbergasted. The government wants us to be responsible for our children's actions (like if your kid steals a car, you're the one in deep shiv) but when you discipline them, you can be arrested? How are children supposed to grow up respecting the rules and that there are consequences for everything you do?
I grew up in a household that wasn't heavy handed but I knew that if I was out of line, that paddle was an option and I feared it. I never snuck out of the house because I knew that if I did my butt would be blistered and I feared it.
It almost seems that if I were to use psychological tactics on my child, I too could be arrested for mental abuse. Parents shouldn't have to have this kind of trouble. Kids today are already out of control and it seems that the government is intent on letting them at all costs.
I remember being in kindergarten and knowing that if I got into real trouble that I would be sent to the principal and spanked... by the principal!
I know that some so-called parents abuse their children and take things to the extreme but this isn't for them.
I read in the paper the other day about a woman who was driving and this guy completely went road maniac on her. Pulling up alongside of her, cursing, smacking the window, threatening her. She was terrified to say the least, but she followed him into another confrontation! And all she kept saying was that he was a poor father because he had his child in the car the whole time.... but she did too! She could have left the situation and moved on when the opportunity allowed, but she followed him and created another problem. So who is the bad parent in all of this? Both of them! When your kids are around, lead by example, and if someone's harrassing you it's called being the bigger person.
I just worry that so many people are reliant on the rest of the world to raise their kids that our kids are not being raised. If the radio show you listen to has inappropriate language on it, change the station. There are child friendly stations like Disney on any AM radio.
If you're watching a TV show that has nudity or foul language (or the infamous nip slip) change it to a show that the whole family can watch.
My son knows what curse words are and he respects that he is not to use them. Thankfully, I've never had to wash his mouth out but he knows I would if choose to make it an issue.
It just makes me worry what this world is coming to...

No comments:

Post a Comment