I have always dreamed of having a cute little shed converted into a playhouse in my back yard. When we lived in an apartment and we didn't even have a backyard, I wanted one on the balcony. When we lived in a house with a huge backyard, I wanted one. I even tried to save up money so that I could build my own but those suckers are expensive and I wanted Doritos more.
When I was about 7 years old, my mom converted our storage room next to the apartment into a grocery store for me, complete with groceries to buy. I blame that for starting the obsession. It was too darn cute and I wanted more.
The other day my husband and I were traveling somewhere (probably work but it was a long drive) and I mentioned this undying need to him.
This is kind of how the conversation went:
Me: I want a tool shed in the backyard.
My Husband: We don't have room for it right now.
Me: When we move, I want a big huge backyard and I want a tool shed back there.
My Hubs: Yeah, okay. Sure.
Me: I want to convert it into a cute little play house for me... er... the kids to play in
My Hubs: Okay.
When I was about 7 years old, my mom converted our storage room next to the apartment into a grocery store for me, complete with groceries to buy. I blame that for starting the obsession. It was too darn cute and I wanted more.
The other day my husband and I were traveling somewhere (probably work but it was a long drive) and I mentioned this undying need to him.
This is kind of how the conversation went:
Me: I want a tool shed in the backyard.
My Husband: We don't have room for it right now.
Me: When we move, I want a big huge backyard and I want a tool shed back there.
My Hubs: Yeah, okay. Sure.
Me: I want to convert it into a cute little play house for me... er... the kids to play in
My Hubs: Okay.
^ This is what I am picturing
^ This is what he's picturing
Me: Actually, I want to make it into a little apartment.
My Hubs: For your dad?
Me: No! For my pink flamingo statues.
My Hubs: Oh?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to dress them up and stage them like they live there and then every week I'll change their clothes. The neighbors will think they're coming to life.

Me: Actually, I want to make it into a little apartment.
My Hubs: For your dad?
Me: No! For my pink flamingo statues.
My Hubs: Oh?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to dress them up and stage them like they live there and then every week I'll change their clothes. The neighbors will think they're coming to life.

My Hubs: That doesn't make any sense. When we're truck drivers, you won't be able to change their clothes every week (<---- we've decided to become truck drivers when we retire. We can travel the states and see all the tacky little USA things we've always wanted to. We're going to be awesome old people).
Me: Oh. Then I guess I can only change them seasonally. We'll have to be sure to be home for the holidays. You know, for the kids and my flamingos.... And the ferrets.
My Hubs: What ferrets?
Me: You know, the ferrets we're going to start collecting when the kids move out and I start suffering empty nest syndrome?
My Hubs: Are the ferrets going to live in the tool shed?
Me: Pssshhh, no.
My Hubs: How are we going to have ferrets if we're truck drivers?
Me: Um....
My Hubs: Oh, I know. They'll stay in the back of the truck, right? They'll help us keep track of our deliveries.
Me: Yeah, exactly what I was thinking! And then we can trade which ferret will visit us in the cab for the day's drive.
My Hubs: Okay, makes sense.
I love that at no point did he question my sanity and why I felt the need to have really well dressed flamingos in a tool shed in our backyard.
And i love the fact that he thinks it all makes sense.
We are so made for each other.
Ps, we're going to get those damn gnomes next time....
Me: Oh. Then I guess I can only change them seasonally. We'll have to be sure to be home for the holidays. You know, for the kids and my flamingos.... And the ferrets.
My Hubs: What ferrets?
Me: You know, the ferrets we're going to start collecting when the kids move out and I start suffering empty nest syndrome?
My Hubs: Are the ferrets going to live in the tool shed?
Me: Pssshhh, no.
My Hubs: How are we going to have ferrets if we're truck drivers?
Me: Um....
My Hubs: Oh, I know. They'll stay in the back of the truck, right? They'll help us keep track of our deliveries.
Me: Yeah, exactly what I was thinking! And then we can trade which ferret will visit us in the cab for the day's drive.
My Hubs: Okay, makes sense.
I love that at no point did he question my sanity and why I felt the need to have really well dressed flamingos in a tool shed in our backyard.
And i love the fact that he thinks it all makes sense.
We are so made for each other.
Ps, we're going to get those damn gnomes next time....

No comments:
Post a Comment