Fart Bone had a school report due on Friday. We've known about it for about a month but of course he decided not to remind us about it until the Sunday before (which is way better than the night before like he did with his science project).
Did I mention this was the same Sunday my love left for a week? Yup, not to return until Friday.
*Insert insane scream here, k?*
He was given a "packet" (which I didn't know was a packet until Friday but we'll discuss that later) and told to follow the guidelines to write a report and a visual aid.
His subject was our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln.
*cringe*
Being the crazy person that I am, I insisted that he not only provide the usual facts but he also include something unusual... I had no idea what I was asking for.
So we researched him and Fart Bone found the usual "Civil war" and "Freeing the slaves" spiel.
I asked a co-worker and she mentioned that he was a victim of spousal abuse and became a well known advocate against spousal abuse...
Say what?????
So you know I had to include it all in there.
I happen to be a huge Civil War buff and have done quite a bit research on Lincoln and his efforts of freeing the slaves. I must commend the fact that he never seemed to have cared what color anybody was and had several conversations with Frederick Douglas. But besides his indifference to race, I can't write that he freed the slaves. His Emanicpation Proclomation was based off of the Confederacy's constitution and it was never his intention to free the slaves. It was a political move that just worked out for him. I wasn't comfortable teaching my son the wrong answers because that's what is accepted as historical fact.
Listen to me yammering on about it... It's like word vomit now.
So we spent a week studying Lincoln, writing the perfect (and interesting report) and thinking on the best visual aid.
Our first thought was to do a diorama of Lincoln's assassination but after doing a sample, I was already bored and wanted to do something... different... more... better.
Did I mention this was the same Sunday my love left for a week? Yup, not to return until Friday.
*Insert insane scream here, k?*
He was given a "packet" (which I didn't know was a packet until Friday but we'll discuss that later) and told to follow the guidelines to write a report and a visual aid.
His subject was our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln.
*cringe*
Being the crazy person that I am, I insisted that he not only provide the usual facts but he also include something unusual... I had no idea what I was asking for.
So we researched him and Fart Bone found the usual "Civil war" and "Freeing the slaves" spiel.
I asked a co-worker and she mentioned that he was a victim of spousal abuse and became a well known advocate against spousal abuse...
Say what?????
So you know I had to include it all in there.
I happen to be a huge Civil War buff and have done quite a bit research on Lincoln and his efforts of freeing the slaves. I must commend the fact that he never seemed to have cared what color anybody was and had several conversations with Frederick Douglas. But besides his indifference to race, I can't write that he freed the slaves. His Emanicpation Proclomation was based off of the Confederacy's constitution and it was never his intention to free the slaves. It was a political move that just worked out for him. I wasn't comfortable teaching my son the wrong answers because that's what is accepted as historical fact.
Listen to me yammering on about it... It's like word vomit now.
So we spent a week studying Lincoln, writing the perfect (and interesting report) and thinking on the best visual aid.
Our first thought was to do a diorama of Lincoln's assassination but after doing a sample, I was already bored and wanted to do something... different... more... better.

So my next thought was to do a comical diorama of Lincoln being hit with a broom. If you pull the tab on the side, his wife would swing and hit him.
That idea was vetoed, though.
Then I thought that we should do an Operation game style visual, showing all of his injuries over the years. I really wanted to make a playable game but all the Lincoln facts were eating my brain by then.
So Fart Bone picked out his favorite injuries and illnesses and we made this:
That idea was vetoed, though.
Then I thought that we should do an Operation game style visual, showing all of his injuries over the years. I really wanted to make a playable game but all the Lincoln facts were eating my brain by then.
So Fart Bone picked out his favorite injuries and illnesses and we made this:
Then we put together his report (it asked for three paragraphs... we gave them 5) and made it look like this:
We busted butt for four nights, working until late putting it all together but we finished it and it was ready to be turned in Friday morning (*and the crowd goes wild, cheering*)
Fart Bone practiced his speech, he knew these facts by heart, and when I picked him up Friday afternoon, he told me.... that he didn't get to present because he didn't have his packet.
What the heck is a packet?
We did the report
We did the visual aid
What the heck is a packet?????
I was so mad. I found out that what I thought was a template to help kids write their reports (you know for the kids whose parents aren't crazy and didn't have to write regulated reports every single week in perfect "CD, Com, Com" format (<---- I know some of the Academy kids just totally cringed when I said that)) was actually a "packet"
I ranted the whole weekend. If that evil teacher deducted 1 point from my baby's report I was going to skin her alive (I still might).
The weekend passed, Monday came and he got to present (the packet was torn, written all over and stapled weird but she got it back). Everyone laughed when he pulled out his creative visual aid and was very proud of how well he spoke (that would be my dad, the ultimate public speaker).
He got a 98/100 and lost 2 points from sloppy handwriting.
Fart Bone practiced his speech, he knew these facts by heart, and when I picked him up Friday afternoon, he told me.... that he didn't get to present because he didn't have his packet.
What the heck is a packet?
We did the report
We did the visual aid
What the heck is a packet?????
I was so mad. I found out that what I thought was a template to help kids write their reports (you know for the kids whose parents aren't crazy and didn't have to write regulated reports every single week in perfect "CD, Com, Com" format (<---- I know some of the Academy kids just totally cringed when I said that)) was actually a "packet"
I ranted the whole weekend. If that evil teacher deducted 1 point from my baby's report I was going to skin her alive (I still might).
The weekend passed, Monday came and he got to present (the packet was torn, written all over and stapled weird but she got it back). Everyone laughed when he pulled out his creative visual aid and was very proud of how well he spoke (that would be my dad, the ultimate public speaker).
He got a 98/100 and lost 2 points from sloppy handwriting.
That could be because he finished the packet within 2 minutes once we knew that it was supposed to be turned in, too but whatever...
I am so happy that this report non sense is over.
Now, who wants to help us write a report on Mary Cassatt, it's due in a week?????????
I am so happy that this report non sense is over.
Now, who wants to help us write a report on Mary Cassatt, it's due in a week?????????

No comments:
Post a Comment